Sunday, June 2, 2013

Jessica Leyva- June 1, 2013

Costa Rica has definitely been the experience of a lifetime. Since I was a young child, it was always a dream of mine to see the world. Studying abroad in HORIZONS was a wonderful opportunity. I was able to learn about a new country's culture and customs. I gained personal, educational, and career-oriented growth. Making the decision to study abroad was a very big step for myself as I'd always been close to home. Living in Costa Rica for three weeks definitely put me out of my comfort zone, but I was able to gain a great sense of independence from it. I had the chance to volunteer at ACEFOPAVAS which is an agency working with disabled adults. Having had no prior experience with disabled people, I was further pushed out of my comfort zone. Regardless of the fact, I remained determined to provide the best services that I could. From my volunteer experience, I acquired an openness to uncomfortable and challenging situation. This proved to myself that I had the strength and determination to make it through any challenge that I may face. Alongside the secure learning experience, we also had the opportunity to have a variety of cultural experiences. I had the chance to visit the beaches on the Caribbean coast, Volcan Irazu, the cloud forests of Monteverde, and a waterfall. Costa Rica is an absolutely breath taking country. The sights that I've witnessed are something that will always be near to heart. Every time somebody asked me what I thought about Costa Rica, I told them that I thought it was absolutely beautiful and that I hoped to one day bring my mother to visit because I think that she'd really love it. Although I was only in Costa Rica for three weeks, I was able to build a great bond with my mamatica. I was able to gain a lot of insight about the country through conversations with her. My mamatica even said that she'd gladly welcome my mother and I if we ever did make the trip to Costa Rica together. I wouldn't take back my experience for the world. 
Volunteering at ACEFOPAVAS
Volunteering at ACEFOPAVAS
Our planned physical activity time for the adults
Volunteering at ACEFOPAVAS with Marcos 

At a waterfall with Suzette

In front of our hotel in Monteverde

In Cauhitas with the girls

In our zip lining gear!

At our farewell dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment