Thursday, May 30, 2013

Suzette Miller- May 30, 2013


Traveling to another country I have never been too, can always be nerve-racking. I did not know what to expect on my trip to Costa Rica with Horizons. However, my journey began, once I arrived in San Jose. My first interaction with a Costa Rican was with my mamatica. I clicked right away with my mamatica with the fact that I could speak fluent Spanish. She was very welcoming and eager to know more about me, and likewise. My homestay was a great experience of how true Costa Ricans live their life and I got the chance to help my mamaticawith making traditional meals, as the food here met my expectations, and I felt at home.
Costa Rica, there are no words to describe how thrilled I am to have been a part of such a great experience. My time in another country was spent volunteering in agencies related to my career;as well as enjoying the vast landscape Costa Rica has to offer. I can truly say I went from growing up in the city, to studying in a small town, to traveling to a Spanish speaking country and embracing the sunset, lovely waterfalls, monteverdebeaches, rain forest, volcanoes, zip lining, and eating my favorite plátanos, with every meal. I learned more about myself as I helped at the volunteer agencies and really consider visiting Costa Rica again. In the end, this trip was definitely worth coming too. I made lasting memories, met great people, and grew more into the Hispanic culture. As Costa Ricans would say-PURA VIDA!

Suzette Miller

Jumping with the girls in Monteverde

At Irazu Volcano

A beautiful Costa Rican sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment