Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Autumn Clark- May 28, 2013


Hola, from Costa Rica! I can’t believe that we only have three more days here! Time is flying by!
Today was my final day at the Escuela de Felix Arcadio, the elementary school where I have been volunteering. Although working at the school was tiring, I really enjoyed all of my time spent with the smiling, curious children, the English teachers and other girls from HORIZONS that also worked at the school. Each day was just as exciting as the one before and the children were always thrilled to ask the other girls and I TONS of questions. It was bittersweet saying goodbye to everyone there knowing that I may not see any of them ever again, but it is an experience I will cherish forever.
I can honestly say that Costa Rica has been nothing like I expected, but absolutely fantastic. I guess in my head I pictured this giant tropical island where everyone sat around drinking from a coconut in the hot sun. Although parts of Costa Rica fit this description (like Puerto Viejo, where we went for our first free weekend,) there is a lot more to this country than that! Santo Domingo, Heredia, where our homestays are located, is surrounded by mountains. It is supposed to be rain season here, so it is either raining or sunny and breezy and actually pretty cold compared to Indiana around this time! I have enjoyed this weather though, knowing that unbearable humidity is waiting for me in Crawfordsville, Indiana, my hometown.

Besides the location, the food is different too. I do eat a lot of rice and beans, just like everyone said I would….But I also eat a lot of random things, like PIZZA (crazy, I know, but I eat more of it here than in the US,) Frito Lay’s cheddar “munchies,” fresh, handmade corn tortillas, and fruits and vegetables. All of it is delicious and I am probably going to try to bring some of the Costa Rican flavors to my own cooking when I return home.

Overall, I feel like I have seen a lot of Costa Rica and gained a lot of insight about myself and the cultureMonteverde was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and I think that zip-lining over the treetops is going to end up being my favorite part of this trip. Of course, I do miss my home and my family and friends. Being out of the country really made me appreciate the beauty of America and all of the wonderful places, foods and people I have there and I’m sure that returning will be just as exciting as the last three weeks have been!

Pura Vida,
Autumn Clark

At Cauhitas Beach (I'm second from left)

At the elementary school during a party

Eating at pops with Stephanie and Rosa

No comments:

Post a Comment