Thursday, May 30, 2013

Karla Armenta- May 30, 2013

After sipping over 6 delicious kinds of coffee today I've reached a level of contentment and peacefulness that I didn't think was achievable. I’m very glad I decided to come to Costa Rica. It’s gorgeous and filled with interesting sights, smells and tastes. This experience has allowed me to open my eyes and see the beauty that expands beyond the materialistic objects that consume most of our attention back home.

I’m thankful that I was able to find a service-learning site that complemented my career aspirations. I’m also very pleased with my host family. They were, much like everyone else here in Costa Rica, shocked to learn I speak Spanish fluently. As much as I like helping others understand Spanish by translating I’m glad I didn't have to do it 24/7.

When I saw the Monteverde trip on our calendar I though we would only be touring the cloud forest. I never imaged we would be zip lining yet alone swinging like Tarzan. It was very out of my comfort zone but a once in a lifetime experience that I will cherish forever. It was the greatest feeling to be flying through the cloud forest. I was terrified but excited and thrilled at the same time.

The coffee tour today was delightful and very worth my time. I learned how coffee is naturally grown, cultivated and fermented to produce the coffee we drink. It’s a shame some people don’t know how to properly prepare and enjoy it.

 The coffee roaster at the Britt coffee tour
 Our tour guide Juan and I when we got back from Puerto Viejo
I'm taking a few minutes to acknowledge the fact that Juan looked exactly like John Locke from the TV show LOST!


No comments:

Post a Comment